Our municipality is ranked the 7th highest among Victorian local government areas for poker machine losses:
- $109 million was lost to poker machines in 2017/18 in the City of Whittlesea.
- $299,940 was lost to poker machines each day in 2017/18 in the City of Whittlesea.
We are a lead partner of the Alliance for Gambling Reform and support the Pokies Play You campaign.
What we are seeking
We are asking the State Government to:
- Adopt policies that manage annual losses to below $2 billion a year from the current level of $2.6 billion.
- Redesign poker machines to reduce the harmful, misleading, deceptive and addictive nature of the machines including:
- $1 maximum bets per spin with maximum $120 losses per hour as recommended by the Productivity Commission.
- Address losses disguised as wins and fake ‘near misses’
- Reduce spin rates
- Reduce the operating hours of pokies venues from the current level of 20 hours a day.
- Provisions to ensure that gaming venues are not the first and/or only recreational/entertainment venue in a newly developed estate.
- Review the criteria for the distribution of poker machines to minimise harm from gambling in growth areas.
We're also calling for amendments to the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (Vic) to ensure this legislation protects those who are most vulnerable from poker machine harm.
You can take action
Add your name to The Pokies Play You campaign.
If you or someone you know is experiencing gambling harm, confidential, professional free advice and support is available 24/7 get the support that’s right for you:
Call: 1800 858 858
Visit: Gambler's Help