Skip to main content

How we calculate rates

Property valuations are used to calculate the amount that you pay in rates, to ensure that rates are shared fairly among property owners in the City of Whittlesea.

Contact us

For more information about property valuations, email or call 9217 2170.


All property valuations are now undertaken annually by the Valuer-General Victoria.

This will be first reflected in your 2020-21 rates notice.

How your property is assessed

Independent valuers look at the land size, condition and location of your property and any improvements made since the last valuation.

They analyse similar properties that have recently sold or been leased in your area, and the current state of the property market.

Your property valuation amount

You can find your property’s valuation amount on your rates notice. We begin sending out rates notices during July. If you believe that your new property valuation is not accurate, you have 2 months to contact us with a written objection.

How a revaluation affects your rates

Property valuations are used to calculate the amount you pay in rates.

In general terms, if your property has increased in value at a faster rate than other properties, your rates will increase at a higher proportion.

If your property value has dropped or risen at a slower rate than others, your rates will increase at a lower proportion.

The exact amount will depend on how much we decide to increase rates by each year.

Revaluations and total rates revenue

Revaluations do not mean we receive more money in rates. They only affect the way the total rates revenue is shared among property owners.

A revaluation redistributes the amount of rates that are paid based on a fairer and updated valuation.

How we calculate rates

We calculate rates based on each property’s Net Annual Value (NAV).

For residential houses, units and rural properties, the NAV is calculated as 5 per cent of the capital improved value (the value of the house and land).

For commercial and industrial properties, the NAV is the rent at which the property might reasonably be expected to be let from year to year. 

Are rates capped?

Under the Victorian Government's Fair Go System, Council's can increase their total rate income this year by 2%.

This cap applies to Council's total rate income, not individual rates notices. How much you pay above or below the 2% increase depends on your property valuation.

  • Your rates will increase by more than 2% if your property value has increased by more than the average
  • Your rates will increase by less than 2% if your property value has increased by less than the average

Other items on your Rates Notice

Fire Services Levy

The levy is a State Government charge that helps pay for the fire services provided by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and Country Fire Authority.

Waste services charge

The charge for standard roadside garbage and recycling collection is now listed separately. This is not a new charge.

Supplementary valuations

Supplementary valuations are carried out in certain situations, in between the general revaluation. Examples of these situations include:

  • subdivision of properties  
  • parcel of land sold off 
  • rezoning 
  • roads constructed 
  • buildings erected, demolished or physically altered 
  • properties amalgamated

Forecast your rates post-construction

If you’re constructing a home on vacant land, we will adjust your rates after building is complete, and after we have determined the value of the house and land, as well as the Victorian Government’s Fire Services Property Levy charge.

To help you estimate your future rates and charges payable, here are some examples:

  • If your land is valued at $400,000 before construction and you build a home worth $300,000, your total rates and charges payable will change from $1163 to $1951.
  • If your land is valued at $400,000 before construction and you build a home worth $500,000, your total rates and charges payable will change from $1163 to $2477.

The waste charge payable in 2020-21 is

  • $112.60 for residential and farming properties
  • $172.60 for commercial and industrial properties

The cost to Council of delivering waste collection services to the community has been materially impacted by:

  • Disruptions in the recycling processing market has necessitated Council having to enter into new contractual arrangements for the processing of the recyclable material collected by Council. The new contractual arrangements have added an additional cost to Council of $1.10 million.
  • The Victorian State Government's introduction of Recycling Victoria - A new economy which details an increase of the landfill levy from $65.90 per tonne in 2019/20 to $85.90 per tonne for 2020-21. The increase in the landfill levy from 1 January 2021 will add an additional cost to Council of $0.64 million.

Despite these cost increases to Council, there has been an increase in the waste collection service charges by 2%.

Rating Strategy

Our Rating Strategy strikes a balance between competing priorities and helps provide revenue needed for ongoing financial stability.

Find out about