4-year-old kindergarten is a 1 year education program for children the year before they start school. Children attend for 15 hours per week, which can be spread across 2 or more days.
Most child care centres also offer a kindergarten program within a long day care setting.
4-year-old kindergarten is subsidised by the Victorian State Government to keep fees low and allow all children to attend.
Please note: we do not accept applications for 3-year-old kindergarten. To register your child please apply directly with your chosen kindergarten.
Kindergarten Open Night Thursday 28 February 2019
Kindergartens across the City of Whittlesea will open their doors to the public for one night only.
Take this opportunity to speak to teachers and discuss the quality programs on offer at kindergartens throughout the municipality.
When: Thursday 28 February
Time: 5.30pm to 7.30pm
Where: Participating kindergartens
Bookings are not required.
- Applications open on the first business day in March each year, 2 years before the year of kindergarten attendance.
- Applications for attendance in 2021 will open on Friday 1 March 2019. Applications submitted before this date will not be accepted.
- Applications close at 5pm on the last business day in June of the year before your child attends kindergarten.
- Any applications submitted after this date will be accepted and processed after the first round of offers are made.
- your child must turn 4 by April 30 in the year of attendance
- If your child was born between January and April you can choose which year to enrol your child, including the year the child is eligible or the year after.
Some children are eligible for a second year of funded kindergarten. Find out more by visiting the Department of Education and Training website.
Apply for kindergarten
1. Apply using our new online form.
Alternatively, you can download the application form below.
2. Fill in your child's details and nominate 3 kindergartens in order of preference
3. Provide the following supporting documents:
- proof that you live in the City of Whittlesea (e.g, a copy of your current driver’s licence, rates notice, telephone, gas, electricity or water bill). If you are a non-resident, provide proof of primary childcare and/or work arrangements within the municipality, (e.g a signed Statutory Declaration)
- proof of child’s birth (eg. a copy of their birth certificate, passport or Immunisation History Statement)
- a non-refundable application fee of $22, or a copy of your Concession/Health Care Card, if applicable
4. Apply online or submit your completed application form by:
- fax - 9409 9822
- Kindergarten Central Enrolment
City of Whittlesea
Locked Bag 1, Bundoora MDC VIC 3083
- Kindergarten Central Enrolment
- In person - Council Offices, 25 Ferres Boulevard, South Morang
Parent web portal
A parent web portal is now available for you to view and modify your child’s kindergarten application. To log in enter your child’s first given name and surname as well as their date of birth and application ID.
The application ID, also known as enrolment number, will be shown on any letters you have received from us previously.
If you don’t have this number, contact us by emailing email@example.com or phoning 9217 2170.
Kindergarten placement offers
We process applications in the order we receive them, after placing priority of access children. We then confirm your child’s kindergarten placement via mail between July and September of the year prior to your child attending.
If you don’t receive a first round offer, your child will still be offered a place at one of our kindergartens.
You may choose to stay on a waiting list instead of accepting an alternative kindergarten placement. Deferments, cancellations and change of preferences can open more spaces at your preferred kindergarten.
Confirm your offer
If you have received a placement offer you can respond to our offer online using the parent web portal.
Alternatively, return your mailed form by email, fax or mail.
After you accept our placement offer, you will be contacted by the kindergarten management about session times and fees.
To confirm your child’s enrolment you will need to provide immunisation documentation directly to your confirmed kindergarten.
How to change or cancel your application
Log in to the parent web portal to modify your child’s application instantly. You will require your child's application ID (enrolment number) which will be shown on letters you have previously received.
If you do not have your child’s application ID (enrolment number), phone 9404 8825.
Alternatively, email your request to change or cancel your child's application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or download a Change of Information Form below
Defer your application
You can defer your application to the following year online using the parent web portal.
If you do not have your child's application ID/enrolment number email email@example.com or download the Kindergarten deferment form below.
Your child's application can only be deferred before they start attending kindergarten.
There are 35 kindergartens in the City of Whittlesea, and you can nominate your child to attend any one of these.
Information about programs, session times and fees are available from each kindergarten and is often displayed on kindergarten noticeboards.
We encourage you to visit any kindergarten which you are interested in. However, you should first book an appointment so that the teacher can make time to speak with you personally.
Kindergartens are managed by volunteer parent management committees, elected each year at an Annual General Meeting, or by professional early childhood organisations.
Committees are registered with the Department of Education and Training (DET), and monitored regularly to ensure standards are maintained and funding conditions are met.
Our role is to:
- own and maintain the facilities in which kindergarten programs are run
- manage a central enrolment system for all 4-year-old kindergartens
- support early childhood educators with professional development and service planning
For more information on the management of local kindergartens, please refer to our Kindergarten Central Enrolment Scheme Policy.