Applications open on Monday 1 July 2019 and remain open until 31 May 2020, or until all funding for the financial year has been expended.
We understand that arts/cultural and sporting pursuits are different, so we have two application categories:
Arts and cultural grants
These grants aim to help local young people pursue excellence in arts and/or cultural pursuits by:
- Increasing young peoples' participation in arts and/or cultural activities
- Providing opportunities for young people to further develop their skills through participation in state, national and international events conducted by recognised associations or organisations
- Fostering community pride in the arts and/or cultural activities pursued by local young people.
These grants aim to help local young people to pursue excellence in sports by:
- Increasing young peoples' participation in sporting activities
- Providing opportunities for young people to further develop their sporting skills through participation in championship-type events/competitions held at the state, national or international level and run by recognised sporting associations
- Fostering community pride in the sporting activities pursued by our younger community members.
Before applying, please read our Grant Conditions below.
Eligible applicants may be granted between $200 and $1200 depending on whether you are travelling locally, interstate or overseas and the duration of the event.
You do not have to pay tax on your grant. However, successful applicant will need to complete an Australian Taxation Office's Statement by a Supplier form. The grant will be paid via electronic transfer to the person nominated on the Statement of Supplier form.
Note: Funding is directly linked to either a dependent applicant's family's eligibility for the Australian Government’s Family Assistance Office Family Tax Benefit A or the applicant's eligibility for Youth Allowance. If your income or your parent’s/guardian’s income is above the amount that Youth Allowance or Family Tax Benefit Part A is no longer paid, you are not eligible for a Grant from Council.
How to apply
You can only apply for either the Arts and Cultural Grant, or the Sporting Grant. Please note that grants are subject to a means test.
To apply for either grant, download the appropriate application form:
Only online applications will be accepted. If you require assistance to access the application form, please contact the Community Development Grants Officer on 9217 2397 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must also include the following with your application form:
- Copy of Birth Certificate/Passport/Drivers Licence
- Two written references
- Evidence that the participant (young person) is a resident of the City of Whittlesea, such as a learner’s permit or a letter from school or doctor’s office.
- Proof of income of parents/guardians (if applicant is dependant for Centrelink purposes) or applicant's income (if employed).
- Copy of a letter from the organisation/association inviting participation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long until I know if my application has been successful?
You will receive an acknowledgement letter confirming your application has been received.
Grants applications are generally considered by the advisory committee within 2 weeks of being received.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application within 2 days of the delegate's decision and the value of the grant approved.
How will the grant be paid?
The grant will be paid via electronic transfer to the person nominated in the Australian Tax Office Statement Form.
How long until I receive my grant?
We aim to have grant payment within two weeks after you have been notified of the successful outcome of your application.
Do I have to pay tax on my grant?
No, if you are participating in the activity as an amateur, complete the Statement by Supplier Form and return to us.
What if your activity is cancelled or you don't participate?
If you have been awarded a grant, and for some reason the activity is cancelled or you are unable to participate, you are required to advise us immediately and the whole grant amount must be returned to Council.
Can Council provide extra assistance if I require a personal carer to accompany me?
We will consider your request for extra financial assistance upon application.
Preference will be given if you have a Companion Card, please attach a copy of your card with your application.