Skip to main content

My Aged Care - a guide to getting started

If you are 65 + (or 50 + for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) and have not been assigned a My Aged Care client number or you have never received services from us, you will need to contact My Aged Care.

How to apply

If you require assistance in contacting My Aged Care please contact our Customer Engagement Team on 9407 5940.

Step 1 - Call My Aged Care

Have your Medicare card handy. The My Aged Care staff will ask you questions about your current situation to help them understand your care needs.

Call 1800 200 422 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am and 2pm Saturday.

You can also visit the My Aged Care website for more information.

If you are helping someone else

To act as a representative for someone, you can either submit a signed consent form or the person you are representing can give their consent over the phone. If you are helping someone register we recommend you call My Aged Care when you are in the same room together.

Step 2 - Agree on a home support plan

After talking to you on the phone, if My Aged Care decides you may be eligible to receive subsidised services, they will organise for an assessor to contact you.

If you need a formal assessment, an assessor will contact you to arrange a time to come and visit you in your home. This assessment is free and will involve a more detailed discussion about your health care and support needs. (Due to Covid restrictions, Assessments maybe conducted over the phone.)

My Aged Care Assessment staff are trained professionals who can help you with your concerns. You may also find it helpful to have a family member, friend or carer present during the assessment visit, to provide additional support to you.

You do not have to accept all the services recommended for you and you can be reassessed at any time for additional services.

After the assessment, My Aged Care will send a letter confirming which level of care you’ve been approved for, either:

  • Entry level care via the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), or
  • More complex, coordinated care via a Home Care Package (HCP). Council does not provide HCP services.

Step 3 - Talk to providers and agree on costs

Once you have been referred to a local provider for services, they will contact you directly.

Ask them about the services they will offer you, the people they will send to perform these services and about fee arrangements. Fees are subsidised and means tested. This means how much you pay will be based on your financial situation.

Any fees need to be agreed between you and the service provider before you start receiving services.

For more information visit the My Aged Care website.