The following types of local businesses must be registered with us, under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008:
- Beauty parlours
- Body piercers
- Colonic irrigation
- Rooming houses
- Bed and breakfasts
Preparing for Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration
Follow these steps to prepare your premises for health or accommodation business registration:
- Check with our Planning Services and Building Services departments by phoning 9217 2170 to check if any permits are required. You must obtain these permits before applying for registration with Health Services.
- Before setting up a new premises or refurbishing an existing one, contact our Health Services department to discuss your proposal. We highly recommend that you submit plans of the proposed works to ensure compliance. For more information, see Plans approval service. Note: Accommodation premises must submit plans before proceeding to registration.
Plans approval service
You must complete the following requirements when providing us with plans for a new health business:
- Complete the relevant online application form below.
- Attach 2 copies of the floor plan of the business. All plans must include specifications and details of surfaces, fittings and equipment, according to our premises development guides. Download the relevant guide below.
- Pay the relevant plans approval fee (Note: this fee does not cover the Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration):
- Health premises - $204
- Accommodation premises - $320
We will process your application within 14 days of receiving complete plans and specifications.
We will then send you back:
- 1 copy of the approved plan
- A letter with conditions
- Contact details of the responsible EHO
We advise you not to begin any major work on setting up the new public health and wellbeing premises until you receive the approved plan.
Health premises inspections and registration
Our Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will conduct progress inspections during the construction of your public health and wellbeing premises to ensure it complies with the approved plans and specifications.
Before opening the public health and wellbeing premises, our EHO will complete a final inspection. If the premises meets the standards, you can apply for registration with us.
Application forms can be obtained from the EHO at the final inspection.
- Health premises - $312
- Prescribed accommodation - $382
Renew your Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration
All registered health businesses must renew their Public Health and Wellbeing Act Registration each year. We mail out renewal invoices in mid-November.
The business owner must inform us if details have changed in the last 12 months. Once renewal payment is processed a certificate will be mailed for the next registration year.
From 31 December, any public health and wellbeing business that fails to pay for their renewal is considered unregistered.
- Health premises $214
- Prescribed accommodation $382
For health guidelines for the personal care and body art industries, visit the Department of Health website.