Skip to main content

Coronavirus update

Contact us at if you need assistance accessing any of the information on this page.

We can also help you access it in your preferred language - call 131 450 for support.

If you require the information in other formats please let us know. 


Latest restrictions

From 6pm Sunday 2 August 2020, new Stage 4 restrictions came into force for Melbourne until at least 13th September.

  • Curfew from 8pm to 5am with the only permitted reason to leave home to work or give or receive care
  • Exercise will be limited to one hour per day and no more than 5km from your home. Maximum of two people
  • Shopping will be limited to one person per household per day. The 5km rule applies
  • Face coverings continue to be compulsory.

From Thursday 6 August:

  • All students in Victoria (with a small exception of children of essential workers), including VCE students returned to remote learning. 
  • Kinders and early childhood education services will close except for the children of a small group of essential workers.
  • Regional Victoria has moved to Stage 3 restrictions.

Read the Premiers' Media Statement.

From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, employers that require their staff to attend a work site must issue a worker permit to their employees – this is the employer’s responsibility.

Find out more on the DHHS website. You can download the Permitted worker permit (Word).

Visit the Department of Health and Human Services website for more information about how restrictions apply to:

  • Sport and exercise
  • Entertainment and culture
  • Religion and ceremony
  • Community services
  • Travel
  • Cafes and restaurants
  • Shopping and retail and personal services
  • Work and study

From Thursday 23 July, changes have been made to visiting hospitals, aged care and disability facilities. These relate to the number and type of people who can visit and the number and length of visits per day. If you are unwell or waiting on a coronavirus (COVID-19) test result you must not visit any of these facilities.

How do I report a breach of COVID-19 restrictions?

To report a suspected breach of public health restrictions, such as: 

  • Stage 4 restrictions
  • Isolation
  • Business breaches

Contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or report online.

Restrictions are in place to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and save lives.

Latest advice

Victorians with even mild symptoms are asked to get tested to help the government better track the spread of the virus.

The symptoms to watch out for are:

  • Fever
  • Chills or sweats
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Runny nose
  • Loss of sense of smell 

In certain circumstances headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea may also be considered.

Tests are free and you should bring your Medicare card.

To get further advice, call the 24-hour coronavirus hotline 1800 675 398 or speak to your local doctor.

Testing is available at the Northern Hospital in Epping and Austin Health in Heidelberg.

Testing is also available at the following pop-up testing sites:

  • Whittlesea Show Grounds on McPhees Road, Whittlesea. Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 July, 9.30am - 4pm.
  • Woodland Water Reserve, Waterview Drive, Mernda. 7 Days. 9:30am - 4:30pm.
  • Pacific Epping Shopping Centre, High St, Epping. 7 days. 9am-5pm.
  • Northland Shopping Centre, Murray Rd, Preston. 7 days. 9am-5pm

You can also get tested at:

Call 1800 675 398 for more information or 

Read more on the DHHS website.

If you HAVE symptoms, no matter how mild, and get tested you need to STAY HOME until you received your coronavirus test result.

You may be eligible for a Victorian Government payment if you don't have access to sick leave and are required to isolate. More information is available here.

You should take the following actions to stay safe:

  • wear a mask when you leave home
  • practice good hygiene
  • maintain physical distancing, keep at least 1.5 metres away from others
  • understand the risk and symptoms
  • help continue to slow the spread of COVID-19 by getting tested, even if you have mild symptoms
  • stay home and avoid contact if you’re feeling unwell
  • take care wherever you go, assume others may be carrying the virus.

More information is available here.

The City of Whittlesea plays a vital role in ensuring public health and has been monitoring all new information about the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The health and safety of our community is our number one priority. Responding to advice from medical professionals and to comply with social distancing requirements we have closed several council facilities, made changes to Council services to ensure we keep delivering for our community, and cancelled events to help stop the spread of the disease.

Due to the rapidly changing situation, we continue to monitor operations and will keep you informed via this dedicated page.

You can also follow us on Facebook or our Whittlesea Unites Page.

Our customer service desk is currently closed. You can call us on (03) 9217 2170 or email us at If you need to pay an invoice, call us so we can talk with you about your payment options.

Contact us at if you need assistance accessing any of the below information.

We can also help you access it in your preferred language - call 131 450 for support.

If you require the information in other formats please let us know. 

Yes. The CovidSafe app speeds up contacting people exposed to COVID-19 (coronavirus).

About the COVIDSafe app

Where can I find more information about COVID-19?

The most reliable information on the coronavirus can be found on both the Victorian and Australian government’s websites.

Victorian Government
1800 675 398

Australian Government or
1800 020 080

There is a self assessment tool available on the DHHS website which helps assess if you are at risk of COVID-19.

Download the Australian Government's information app:

Join the Australian Government's WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

Download the COVIDSafe app:

There is information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Victorians on the DHHS website.

There is also information on the Australian Government website: resources

COVID-19 Hardship Policy

What is the COVID-19 Hardship Policy?

The COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy provides relief to residents and businesses in the City of Whittlesea who are unable to meet their payment obligations to Council because of the adverse effects of the pandemic.

Who can apply for relief under this hardship policy?

This policy applies to sundry debtors, residents, business, clubs and commercial ratepayers in the City of Whittlesea.

Read the Hardship Policy.

Apply online.

Contact us on 9217 2170 if you need a hard copy form.

Does it include rates?

Yes. If you are having difficulty paying your residential or commercial rates, we can help you apply for a payment plan. If you are experiencing serious hardship, we will consider applications to defer rates during the pandemic, without incurring interest until 30 June 2021.

Why can’t you waive rates?

Revenue from rates, fees and charges pays for many of the services you receive from the City of Whittlesea such as waste collection, road maintenance, council facilities and public open spaces like parks and gardens.  We still need to collect rates, fees and charges to continue delivering on these services, and many more.

However, if you are experiencing hardship, we can help you enter a payment plan that is tailored to your needs.

For ratepayers experiencing serious hardship, a deferral of rates will be considered during the pandemic period with no interest incurred until 30 June 2021.

What does financial hardship mean?

Financial hardship refers to difficulty meeting everyday living expenses.  A person is in serious financial hardship when they are unable to provide the following for themselves, their family or other dependants:

  • food
  • accommodation
  • clothing
  • health care
  • education
  • other necessities

Are fines still being imposed?

It is our responsibility to ensure the City of Whittlesea is safe and accessible for all. While we are still imposing fines for doing the wrong thing, including parking in areas that are unsafe or restrict access, you may be able to apply for a payment plan or an extension of time to pay.

Can I have longer to pay my pet registration?

Yes. Payment for pet registration has been extended until 31 May 2020. If you are unable to pay by this date, please complete an application for a payment plan or further extension via our COVID-19 Hardship Policy.

How is the City of Whittlesea supporting local businesses?

We have a number of initiatives being rolled-out such as additional mentoring sessions and other programs that will support local businesses, which are also eligible to apply for relief under our COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy if they are unable to pay rates or other fees and charges on time.

Face covering information

From 11:59pm Wednesday 22 July 2020 if you live in metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire you must wear a face covering when leaving home unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so. 

A face covering needs to be worn covering both your nose and mouth. It could be a face mask or shield.

  • A face mask is recommended, and includes any paper or textile covering designed or made to be worn over the nose and mouth to protect the wearer. It does not have to be medical grade and you can make your own. There are instructions on how to make a mask below and on the DHHS website - How to make a mask.
  • If a face mask is not available other forms of face covering may be used such as a scarf or bandana.
  • A face shield means any film made from plastic or other transparent material designed or made to be worn like a visor, covering from the wearer’s forehead to below the chin area and wrapping around the sides of the wearer’s face, to provide the wearer protection.

Wearing a face covering helps keep you and others safe. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is spread from close contact with a person with coronavirus (COVID-19). Face coverings help stop droplets spreading when someone speaks, laughs, coughs, or sneezes, including someone who has coronavirus (COVID-19) but feels well.

The best way to protect other people against coronavirus (COVID-19) is keeping 1.5 metres apart, wash your hands often, and cough or sneeze into your elbow or tissue. Face coverings add an additional protective physical barrier to protect you and your loved ones.

A face covering is not required in some circumstances including:

  • Infants and children under the age of 12 years.
  • A person who is affected by a relevant medical condition – including problems with their breathing, a serious condition of the face, a disability or a mental health condition.
  • Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
  • Persons for whom wearing a face covering would create a risk to that person’s health and safety related to their work, as determined through OH&S guidelines.
  • Persons whose professions require clear enunciation or visibility of their mouth. This includes teaching or live broadcasting.
  • Professional sportspeople when training or competing.
  • When the individual is doing any exercise or physical activity where they are out of breath or puffing; examples include jogging or running but not walking. You must carry a face covering on you and wear it when you finish exercising.
  • When directed to remove the face covering to ascertain identity.
  • The person is travelling in a vehicle by themselves or with other members of their household.
  • When consuming food, drink or medication.
  • When undergoing dental treatment or other medical care to the extent that the procedure requires that no face covering may be worn.
  • During emergencies.

You must carry a face covering with you when leaving home for one of the four reasons, even if you don’t need to wear it while undertaking your current activity, for example you can take your face covering off to eat.

The Victorian Government is providing free reusable face masks via council services and community agencies to:

  • people living with chronic conditions
  • people who are homeless, living in public housing and crisis accommodation
  • people living with a disability
  • people using family violence and mental health services
  • people using drug and alcohol services
  • refugees 
  • Aboriginal people

People who are eligible will be able to get a free mask from Whittlesea Community Connections (WCC).

To find out when they are available and if you’re eligible, call WCC on 9401 6666.

For more information visit

Use DHHS's guide to make a cloth mask (PDF) that covers your nose and mouth and is made of washable fabric.

Tegar, Nancy and Amy from The Social Studio have produced a video to show the easy steps to make one yourself.

Supporting community

What does Whittlesea Community Connections do?

Whittlesea Community Connections has been providing vital services for disadvantaged people and emerging communities since 1973.

Why has the City of Whittlesea provided this organisation with money?

This organisation has a deep understanding of the needs of our community. It can help with practical support like food and other material necessities. By supporting them, we are supporting you.

What will $50,000 provide to our community?

These funds will provide hundreds of vulnerable people in our community with support they need right now. Anyone experiencing hardship in Whittlesea can contact Whittlesea Community Connection’s Response line 9401 6644 for help with food, financial assistance and casework support. Response line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm.

Resources available through Whittlesea Community Connections

Whittlesea Food Collective 

We have provided $25,000 from our COVID-19 Community Relief Fund to Big Group Hug in Bundoora.

Big Group Hug provides material relief to around 100 vulnerable children each week. It relies on volunteer help, donations and community fundraising which have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read more about Big Group Hug.

Council has provided $18,000 to Encompass Care who are packaging and delivering food parcels and meals to those in the community who need support.

Read more about Encompass Care.



Council has provided financial help to a variety of community organisations who are supporting our local community:

  • Infinity Church - emergency food relief
  • Countrywide Community Missions - food relief
  • Hope Centre - food hampers
  • Sikh Community Connections - supporting international students and Sikh and Indian communities
  • ADRA - food hampers
  • From us 2 you - helping with fuel, power and work expenses
  • Heavenly Feast Revival Church Australia - food hampers in the Epping/Lalor area
  • Moreland City Council/Rooming House - care packs for people living in rooming houses in the City of Whittlesea.

Download our Community Support Services list here.

Headspace Greensborough and South Morang are continuing consultations via phone and zoom. Call 9433 7200 or email

Lifeline has Mental health and wellbeing during coronavirus advice on their website.

Whittlesea Community Connections has a new response number for anyone experiencing hardship, needing information or support. Call 9401 6644 from 9am to 1pm Monday to Friday.

Free legal assistance is available through Whittlesea Community Connections on 9401 6655 from 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday.

If you would like to volunteer or you feel isolated and would like a phone friend call Whittlesea Community Connections volunteer line on 0473 019 831 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Food Collective and Whittlesea Emergency Relief Network

Any offers of food donations can be sent to Ginette Beguely on 9401 0666 or

Helpful links

Coronavirus hotline: 1800 675 398

Interactive coronavirus self-assessment on the DHHS website

COVID-19 FAQs on the DHHS website

Transmission reduction measures  on the DHHS website

DET advice for early childhood education services, outside school hours care (OSHC) and Vacation Care

VicEmergency advice notification 

Business Victoria hotline: 13 22 15

Mental health and wellbeing during coronavirus on Lifeline website.

City of Whittlesea's Calendar of Emergency Relief Support Services operating during COVID-19.

Frequently Asked Questions

Caring for our aging community and people living with a disability is a high priority for the City of Whittlesea.

We are adhering to all government and health advice about coronavirus (COVID-19) to ensure essential services to these residents are delivered in a way that keeps our community and our staff safe and healthy.

Will I still get my delivered meals?

Delivered meals are continuing as normal. All clients have been contacted to discuss their current needs and the possibilities of delivering additional meals for freezing. To find out more about these services phone our Intake Officer on 9407 5935.

Can I still access home support?

This service is continuing as normal. We are calling clients to make sure they are ‘well / healthy’ enough to receive their regular service. To find out more about accessing assistance around the home, contact our Intake Officer on 9407 5935.

Can I still access support for carers?

All support for carer programs have been cancelled until further notice.

Are programs for seniors still running?

All events and programs have been cancelled - with the exception of the LEAP golf program which has been amended to comply with latest restrictions.

This includes the following LEAP programs:

  • Seniors Exercise
  • Multicultural Cinema
  • Bus Trips

Can senior’s clubs still meet?

Senior’s clubs are considered non-essential gatherings and are therefore suspended until further notice.

Are social support/planned activity groups still running?

This program has been suspended until further notice.


Will rangers still collect my pet if it gets out?

Yes our animal ranger services are still operating. You will be able to visit the Epping Animal Welfare to collect a pet that has been brought it. However, if your animal has been seized because it has been allegedly involved in an attack, you will not be able to visit due to Stage 4 restrictions.

How do I pay my pet registration if the Council office is closed?

You can pay online. Our customer service desk is closed to help stop the spread of coronavirus so we will be unable to take payments in person at this time. You can call us on 9217 2170 if you need assistance with this process.

How can I register a new pet?

Download the form and submit via email or post. We are unable to take payments in person at this time. We’ll be in touch once the coronavirus situation eases.

Are dog parks still open?

Yes. At this stage, dog parks in the City of Whittlesea remain open but they are being monitored to ensure physical distancing is being practised.

Creative Communities Fund

We have launched a new grants program, the Whittlesea Creative Communities Fund, that has been designed to provide funding for creative projects to directly respond to the impacts of COVID-19.

Read more about the grant program.

How do I contact the Building and Planning Team?

Many of our building and planning services can be accessed via this webpage. You can also email or post your building or planning application to us. If you have any difficulties, please phone 9217 2259, Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm or email

Community grants

We are committed to supporting local community groups and services.

One way we do this is through our annual grant programs where we support community groups deliver local projects and programs.

Like many businesses and organisations, we are adapting to the effects of coronavirus (COVID-19). As a result, we have reviewed our grants program and have refocussed it to supporting community groups as they recover from the pandemic.

How will the grant programs change?


We have simplified its current program by developing four new grants to be accessed by not-for-profit groups operating in the City of Whittlesea:

  • Resourcing grant program for the purchase of portable equipment and to pay for essential operating costs.
  • Venue hire subsidy for free access to local venues.
  • Reactivation grants to engage existing members in new online activities or re-establish previous activities if restrictions allow.
  • Reconnection grants to develop and deliver events and activities that are open to the wider community.

Council has also increased its investment in the community grants program by almost $20,000 - from $514,000 (2019/20) to $533,421.

Existing community grants that will continue in 2020/21 include Economic Development Grants, Environmental Works Grants, Senior Citizens’ Club Grants and Female Inclusion in Sport Grants.

What if I’ve already been told my grant application has been approved?

You will still receive your grant. However, if your group has been affected by the pandemic and you are unable to deliver the program that was intended, please contact the Community Development Grants Officer on 9217 2397 or

I’ve submitted an application, what happens next?

Our grants programs are now on hold while we assess the best way to provide value to the whole community as we all adjust to the changing environment.

In light of many groups having to suspended programs or change the way they operate, we also want to ensure your community group has time to develop activities and projects that will be successful post-pandemic.

We will contact you in coming weeks with more information.

Whittlesea Creative Communities Fund

We have launched a new grant program, the Whittlesea Creative Communities Fund, that has been designed to provide funding for creative projects to directly respond to the impacts of COVID-19. Read more on our grants page.

Sports Club Emergency Grants

In response to the impacts of COVID-19, Council has released a Sports Club Emergency Grant program designed to provide financial assistance to local sports clubs. Read more on our grants page.

Services continuing/facilities still open

  • Kerbside waste collection
  • Mowing and tree pruning in parks, gardens and open spaces
  • Road maintenance
  • Construction projects
  • Council Call Centre- call us on 9217 2170
  • Delivered meals
  • Home support for aged care clients
  • Family Day Care
  • Immunisation sessions - limited locations by appointment only
  • Parks
  • Animal management
  • Environmental health
  • Support for business
  • Dog Parks​
  • Hanson's Wollert Landfill​​ for commercial customers, and for Council waste trucks only. 


Services changing

  • ​Maternal and Child Health > appointments via phone 
  • Libraries > moved to eLibrary service 
  • Youth Services > online programs, information, support and referral via phone
  • Building and Planning services > online
  • Disability Parking Permits > via post or email
  • Arts, Heritage & Events >​​ online programs and activities plus non-contact activities for residents who don't engage digitally
  • Aboriginal and Cultural Diversity > enhanced community support initiatives
  • LEAP Program 
  • Kindergartens - for children of essential workers only

Temporarily closed/cancelled 

  • ​Council offices at Civic Centre, Westfield (including Edge Youth Services) and Epping Depot closed to public
  • Community centres
  • Libraries
  • Playgrounds, skateparks and barbecue areas
  • Pools and gyms (indoor and outdoor)
  • Plenty Ranges Arts & Convention Centre
  • Recycling facilities
  • Public events
  • Citizenship ceremonies
  • Seniors Club meetings
  • Golf courses 
  • Hanson’s Wollert Landfill for public use. 

Are Council meetings still going ahead?

Yes but to help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), we encourage people to enjoy the convenience of watching council meetings from the comfort of their own home. 

People can watch the Council Meeting live using the City of Whittlesea YouTube channel 


What Council offices are currently closed to the public?

  • Civic Centre, 25 Ferres Boulevard, South Morang
  • Council offices, Westfield Plenty Valley
  • EDGE Youth Services, Westfield Plenty Valley
  • Epping Works Depot, Houston Street, Epping

Why are the offices closed?

We’ve decided to close the council offices to visitors based on the advice from the Federal and State governments regarding places of gathering and social distancing. We want to ensure that we’re doing everything we can to help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

When will you reopen?

At this stage, we don’t know when we will reopen our offices to visitors. The health of our community and staff is our priority. We’ll be monitoring the advice from the Federal and State governments and reopen when it is safe to do so. Follow us on Facebook for the latest updates.

How can I get in touch with Council?

We’re still working and providing many of our usual services. Please feel free to contact us. If you normally visit us at one of our council offices, we ask that you please use the self-serve options online, phone or email us.

Can I still exchange my sharps container?

Yes. When you arrive at the Council, call the number that’s on the sign at the front door. A staff member will then exchange your sharps container for you.

Have Council events been cancelled?

All in person events and gatherings have been cancelled for now. Check our event listings here to find virtual and online events.

Are citizenship ceremonies still happening?

No. Citizenship ceremonies have been cancelled until further notice as part of our efforts to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

Is the immunisation service running?

Yes. Immunisation is a critical service for our community. We will continue to provide immunisation sessions across the City of Whittlesea. However, strict rules that have been imposed by the Australian and Victorian government on good advice from health experts means that some of our venues are not appropriate for this service. As a result, we have made some changes that will ensure we continue delivering for our community.

How are immunisation services changing?

  • All bookings for public immunisation sessions are now done online
  • When you attend your session, social distancing measures will be enforced.
  • Some changes have to been made to the immunisation timetable with services at some of the locations suspended for the remainder of 2020.

Why have these changes occurred?

The City of Whittlesea, like most organisations, is adapting to the effects of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Immunisation is a critical service and we are making some changes to the way we conduct our public sessions to ensure we can keep our community and our staff safe.

Which venues will no longer have immunisation sessions?

The following venues are too small to be able to safely conduct immunisation sessions during the coronavirus pandemic:

  • Jindi Family and Community Centre in Mernda
  • Lalor Library
  • Mill Park Community Centre
  • Hazel Glen Child and Family Centre in Doreen

As a result, immunisation sessions at these venues have suspended for 2020.

Where can people still receive immunisations?

Families can still attend sessions at:

  • Galada Community Centre in Epping
  • Mill Park Baptist Church
  • Council Civic Centre in South Morang
  • Mernda Village Community Activity Centre
  • Thomastown library

A revised timetable is available here.

What additional measures are in place at the venues?

Once you arrive at the venue, you will be asked to wait in your car until your appointment time.

  • One parent or guardian to accompany a child for their immunisation appointment

Please do not attend an immunisation session if you or your child:

  • is unwell in any way
  • have returned from overseas within the past 14 days (self-isolation period)

Workplace immunisation

Community immunisation is our priority. To ensure we can meet these needs as best we can, we have suspended our flu vaccination service for workplaces. You will still be able to receive a flu vaccine, once they are available, at a community immunisation session.

Even though community centres are shut, you’ll still be able to access them for immunisation sessions.

Read more about public immunisations sessions.

Are kindergartens open?

Childcare and kindergarten may remain open if they choose. 

Contact your centre directly for more information.

More information is available on the Victorian Government's webpage.

How do I enrol my child in kindergarten?

Enrolment can be made by email, online or phone. Visit this webpage for more information.

Yarra Plenty Regional Library branches are closed from 8 July 2020.

Library members can still access books online via their eLibrary.

There are different apps you can download and use your YPRL to access ebooks, audiobooks, newspapers, music and learning.

visit for more information



How have Maternal and Child Health services changed?

All Maternal and Child Health appointments from Tuesday 28 July will be via telelhealth. If you have an appointment your MCH nurse will call you at your appointment time.

You can call us on 9404 8888 with any questions, or to change an appointment.

If you are concerned, please call the 24-hour MCH line on 13 22 29. 

Why have some of my MCH appointments moved to a phone consultation?

 To help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has advised councils in Victoria to conduct some MCH appointments by phone until further notice. 

Will the MCH nurse call me?

Yes. Your MCH nurse will call you at your booked appointment time.  Please note that the call may come up on your phone as a private number. 

How does a phone consultation work?

The move to MCH phone consultations will still allow us to assess that your child is growing and healthy and we will talk to you more about this at your first phone consultation.

Where can I go for breastfeeding help?

f you have any concerns regarding your baby’s feeding, please call Council on 9404 8888 to make an appointment for a phone consultation with a lactation consultant.  Breastfeeding drop in sessions will not run, but again you can ring and schedule an appointment to speak to a lactation consultant. 

You can also call  the 24-hour MCH line on 13 22 29. 

Is there an app I can use?

There is an excellent Maternal and Child Health App that you can download. This will allow you to plot your baby’s growth and weight and your MCH nurse will be able to talk you through using this. 

Here's more information about the app:

How do I apply for a disability parking permit?

Applications can be sent to us by mail, or scanned and emailed to us.

How do I make a payment?

Most payments can be made on this webpage or by posting a cheque or money order. Building and planning payments can be made over the phone: 9217 2259.

Are playgrounds and skateparks closed?

All playgrounds and skateparks will be closed in line with Stage 4 restrictions.

Barbecues in parks remain closed.

Are sportsgrounds closed?


What about sporting clubs?

All Council sport facilities will be closed in line with Stage 4 restrictions.

Which parks are closed?

Local parks are open though playgrounds are closed.

For information about Parks Vic locations visit Parks Victoria online..

Is mowing and gardening still continuing?

Council is continuing to provide essential services including maintaining our City, this includes mowing, where social distancing rules can be applied.

Is my kerbside collection still continuing?

Yes, it is an essential service. 

We know there are more cars than usual parked in local streets right now with many people working, or just staying, at home. To help our drivers get to your bins, please make sure they are placed on the kerb away from any obstructions.

Is the rubbish tip still open?

Hanson’s Wollert Landfill is open. The facility will only accept card (no cash) and will record, but not physically hole punch rates notice vouchers.

If you are unwell, do not attend.

The recycling facility at 480 Cooper Street Epping is closed.

Kerbside bin collections are continuing as normal.

What about hard waste collections?

There is no change to our hard waste collection service at this time.

Information for business

The outbreak of Coronavirus is causing economic disruption in many sectors including tourism and hospitality, education, entertainment, property, resources, and international supply chains. The below information aims to help City of Whittlesea businesses navigate the latest support available. You can also read more on our business support webpage. 

Ensure you keep up-to-date with the Commonwealth's Support for business in Australia and the State Government's Coronavirus business support websites.


The most recent support available is the Jobseeker Payment initiative. Businesses impacted by the coronavirus will be able to access a subsidy to continue paying their employees.

As part of a $1.7 billion economic survival package, the Victorian Government has announced $500 million to establish a Business Support Fund to assist small to medium businesses most impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak.

Applications are now open online.

Business Victoria finder

Business Victoria has launched a new finder to help businesses, sole traders, apprentices, trainees, or employees identify support or financial assistance available during the COVID-19 pandemic

Free training program

The Victorian Government has launched a new platform Upskill My Business which provides businesses impacted by the coronavirus pandemic with free access to online short courses and training events.

Call Business Victoria on 13 22 15 or visit the Upskill my Business website.

Business impact survey

We are wanting to understand the ongoing issues faced by businesses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This data will help us design programs and support packages to meet the changing needs of the business community in the immediate aftermath and into the recovery phase of the pandemic.

You can fill out the survey online. It will take about 5-10 minutes to complete.

Business support service

Council’s Business Engagement Officer can help connect businesses with a variety of support available from Local, State and Federal Government and across industry. Call 9217 2278 or email

Free mentoring sessions will be provided by the Small Business Mentoring Service and Box Hill Business Enterprise Centre. Please apply via email to


If you missed our recent webinar series, or would like to learn more about gaining new skills or thinking for your business, you can view all the recordings on Council's YouTube channel.

The webinars have covered topics such as online networking, managing cashflow, mental health, business planning and more.


Email Rebecca Ganicoche, Business Engagement Officer for more information.

Facebook promotions
We are currently promoting local businesses on our ‘South Morang Farmers and Makers Market’ Facebook page. We aim to let the community know alternative ways to engage your business. Please email Amy Berthelot, South Morang Farmers and Makers Market project officer, if wish to participate

Encouraging local residents to support local businesses is crucial than ever before. If your food or hospitality business is still trading and you've implemented new ways of working, i.e.; home delivery, then let us know.

We are listing our food and hospitality businesses on Council's Whittlesea Tourism website. To have your businesses included, tell us your;

  • Business name
  • Address, phone number and website or Facebook link
  • Brief description of your business and any special offer

Send these details, with a photo that represents your business to