Our plan currently focuses on the risk of bush and grass fire, and draws on information from a number of related agencies including the Country Fire Authority (CFA), Parks Victoria and Melbourne Water.
We must prepare and maintain this plan, according to the Country Fire Authority Act 1953 and Metropolitan Fire Brigade Act 1958.
Many community groups helped prepare this plan, including:
- local fire brigades
- conservation groups
- Council officers
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
- Yarra Valley Water
- Parks Victoria
Our goal is to reduce the likelihood of uncontrolled fire and the subsequent damage to the community.
Steps taken include:
- identifying bushfire-prone areas
- establishing a Fire Prevention Committee
- providing community education
- limiting fire and burning off through bans and permits
- reducing fire hazards such as long grass and roadside fuel
- creating and maintaining fire access roads and buffer zones such as golf courses and sporting ovals
- issue of fire prevention notices
- implementing planning requirements under State Planning Policy
- following the Building Code of Australia
- creating linear fire breaks and assisting with Township Protection Plans
You should report all fire hazards to us by calling 9217 2170. To report a fire, call 000.
Neighbourhood Safer Places
There is currently one NSP located in this municipality:
- AF Walker Reserve, 2 Forest Street, Whittlesea (cnr of Forest and Laurel Streets), Melway Ref: Map 246, G9
There are no community fire refuges in this municipality.