Understanding the signs around school zones
All school speed limits across the State are clearly signposted. Look out for speed signs near schools and slow down to improve safety for children.
When the flags are displayed at a children's crossing, you must stop for pedestrians who are waiting to cross, or who have started crossing.
You must remain stopped until the crossing is clear. These rules apply even if there is no crossing supervisor.
Yellow edge lines
You must not stop or park your vehicle next to a continuous yellow edge line.
You must not stop at the kerb for any reason.
What you can do to ensure school zones remain safe
- always supervise children
- walk, cycle or scoot to school to reduce traffic
- respect road rules and parking signs
- wait on the same side of the road as your child to avoid your child crossing the road to meet you
- encourage your child to use your car's kerbside door, away from traffic