To report dumped rubbish or litter:
- report online
- call 9217 2170
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
As a witness, you may need to give evidence so you should only report an offence if you are willing to appear in court.
Types of littering
Litter is any waste product - including paper, vegetable matter, cigarettes and butts, garbage, clothes and hard waste - that has been left lying in an open or public place.
The act of littering includes:
- throwing or dropping litter from a vehicle
- leaving an overfilled bin out for collection
- placing flyers, leaftlets or brochures on vehicles
- placing advertising material in a letterbox with a ‘no junk mail’ or ‘no advertising’ sign
- displaying advertising material on buildings, street furniture, roadside and railway infrastructure without the owner’s permission
- leaving litter uncontained on private property
- abandoning or leaving an unregistered vehicle on a road or other public land
Litter thrown from vehicles
If you see someone throwing litter from a vehicle, write down the:
- vehicle number plate, make, model and colour
- date, time and place that the offence was committed
- a description of the type of litter that was left behind
If the offence occurred in the City of Whittlesea, you should call us on 9217 2170, so we can investigate and issue an infringement notice.
If the offence occurred outside the City of Whittlesea, you should: